5S is more than a program, it is a comprehensive system for organizing spaces so work can be performed efficiently, effectively, and safely. This system focuses on putting everything where it belongs and keeping the workplace clean, which naturally promotes a safer workplace with more efficiency.
When implementing a 5S system, it is important to remember to start small. Start with a pilot project to get a feel for if/what employee training is needed—how to implement the system, how to track progress, and how to celebrate success.
5S IS A FIVE-STEP PROCESS:
- Sort: Separate the tools that are needed to get the job done.
Remove everything else.
- Set in Order: Place all relevant tools within reach of operatives and reduce the need to be away from the workstation.
- Shine: Maintain safety and order in the workplace by keeping the tools clean and helping to reduce defects.
- Standardize: Create practices that will ensure maintenance of the steps you have already taken by introducing Shadow Boards with color-coded tools.
- Sustain: Stay consistent and constantly review standards.