Pictured Above: (left to right) Mat Bartkowiak, Adam Nelson, Maggie Becher, and John Larsen.
This past year, Nelson-Jameson worked with the Center for Dairy Research and the UW-Madison Foundation to establish the “Nelson-Jameson Graduate Award for the Advancement of Dairy Food Science” for graduate students at the CDR. Adam Nelson, Chairman of the Board, and Mathew J. Bartkowiak, Director of Strategic Relationships, recently had the chance to meet with the first-ever recipients and tour the progress of the Babcock Hall Building Project.
Maggie Becher and John Larsen, two current graduate students, were awarded the first round of scholarships. The two yearly $5,000 scholarships will be given to select graduate students working with the Center for Dairy Research at UW-Madison. Students, in good standing, receive $5,000 each year of their two-year master’s program.
Nelson-Jameson is proud to continue to support the important work of the Center for Dairy Research and all they do for the industry. There is great shared alignment in the pursuit of helping the industry to create safe, quality food, and seek out new innovations to push us collectively forward. We are excited to see what important work Maggie and John accomplish in their pathways towards careers in the industry.
Oterra™ Natural Colors for candies and confectioneries provide a color palette even Cupid would adore!
As the world’s leading supplier of natural colors, Oterra continues their dedication to applying the goodness and purity of nature to our food. Their advanced technology and mission promotes every step -or arrow!- in the right direction to suit various applications with no compromise on quality or safety, therefore offering a wide product range.
If you are looking for natural colors to help create products for the day of love, there are several Oterra products available. Each offer a full spectrum of colors and natural ingredients to help produce the best color for your specific application.
- I-Colors®: Colorful, instant powders that plate well and hydrate easily.
- Promotes resilient coatings for easy, trouble-free panning.
- Ideal for plating perfection.
- Product is easy to dose and dissolve due to small particle size which aids in no dephasing, lumps, or spots and ensures an even distribution.
- CapColors®: Natural color pigments that offer exceptional color performance and stability.
- Retains brightness and intensity with a specific encapsulation formulation designed to improve functionality.
- Unique color technology increases color potency to ensure intense, vibrant shades at a lower dosage and works to prevent color migration in layered products.
- Works well in high resistance heat, light, and air.
- Supports smooth and even coverage of panned products and assists in reducing drying time.
- FruitMax®: Minimally processed hues with coloring properties from fruit, vegetables, and edible plants.
- Oil soluble with recognizable ingredients to easily understand.
- Ideal for fat-based fillings, frosting, and eye-catching decorations.
- ColorFruit®: Multi-purpose colors from nature available in liquid or powder formats.
- Suitable for macarons, sugar icing, and compressed tablets.
- Authorized under various regulatory frameworks to build trust with consumers.
Your candies, baked goods, and desserts can be created with appealing color shades and swirl with combinations of unforgettable artistry and memories—all while using natural coloring ingredients.
We can help decide which application is best for your product or assist in converting your process to all natural colors. For more information, contact one of our Ingredient Product Specialists today!
Now is the time to start thinking about organizing, identifying, and labeling your inventory and storage areas in the New Year. Creating an expected “home” or centralized location for supplies, will allow your team members to quickly find the products they need.
In addition, having well-organized and labeled inventory allows your staff to quickly see products that are missing or need reordering, and creates efficiencies in your inventory management process. Take your organization one step further by including replenishment information clearly printed on labels—including fill to levels, descriptions, units of measure, manufacturer part numbers, and more. This will ensure that reordering information is contained in a universal, visible manner verses critical information being held by a few specific employees.
Our Storeroom Solutions Guide features shelving units, storage bins, labeling systems, and more that will allow your plant to achieve the visibility and clear identification of products for easier reordering, management and fulfillment.
Need assistance streamlining your inventory process?
Nelson-Jameson’s SupplyRITE™ Inventory Solutions team can help! Contact us at 800-826-8302 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss our value added services of usage analysis, online ordering tools, storeroom setup, managed inventory programs, and more.
As the song goes, “if the fates allow” we’ll perhaps be able to see more friends and loved ones in person this holiday season. If you are hosting any holiday guests, it can often feel like you have enough on your plate to begin with (a small holiday pun there…), before even thinking about guest dietary restrictions. However, a bit of planning can go a long way to make all of your guests feel welcome and cared for, no matter what dietary restrictions they may face due to factors like their religious affiliation, personal preference, health issues, allergies/sensitivities, etc.
More specifically here, in terms of contending with food allergies you can use these seven festive tips to better accommodate your guests with these dietary restrictions.
- Know your major allergens. 90%(!) of known allergic reactions come from 8 key foods: milk, eggs, fish, crustaceans, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.
- Read your labels. Food producers are required to label any foods that contain one of the “big 8” allergens. Check the label for assistance in knowing what to safely purchase.
- Avoid cross-contamination. Use clearly marked, separate utensils, cutting boards, etc. when handling foods, if there are allergens. Consider color-coding for an easy-to-identify system in your kitchen.
- Clean and sanitize your work areas and utensils after handling food allergens.
- Be sure to advise guests with food allergies on what foods to avoid. You can always label foods to assist as well.
- Keep an eye out for the signs of an allergic reaction. Symptoms can vary, but recognizing symptoms like wheezing, hives, face/tongue/lip swelling can save lives.
- The easiest thing to do is ask. Check in with guests before hosting your event if they have any allergies or food restrictions. Doing so means a great deal to guests with food allergies/restrictions, as it helps anticipate their needs and makes them feel welcome and included in the festivities.
You can learn more about many of the points above from this handy sheet from the FDA. The happiest and healthiest of holidays to you and yours from Nelson-Jameson!
UV-C Disinfecting in The Food Industry
Ensuring proper disinfection of your food processing equipment is paramount in eliminating pathogens from wreaking havoc on your bottom line. Traditional chemicals have been a part of the cleaning process for generations in the food and beverage industry. In recent years, another form of disinfecting has made its way into the fold that works hand in hand with your traditional cleaning program, Ultraviolet-C (UV-C) light. UV-C light utilizes short wavelengths of light to deactivate and eliminate microorganisms such as bacteria, mold and viruses in a matter of seconds.
UV-C light is able to enhance the effects of traditional cleaning solutions.
After a thorough cleaning using your standard CIP and COP procedures, you are able to illuminate your surfaces with the powerful UV-C light that has been shown to break down the microorganisms that traditional chemicals leave behind by reaching into all of those hard to reach places. Utilizing the perfect one-two-punch of chemicals and UV-C light creates superior sanitation that virtually eliminates all threats of contamination on your food processing equipment.
Even though UV-C is not a substitute for thoroughly cleaning your food processing equipment, using it in conjunction with traditional chemicals in the sanitation process provides you with a vital tool in your toolbox of cleaning supplies.
Ensure you are using the very best in UV-C technology with the Aurora UV Disinfecting Device from SMS Technologies that you can order right here. Thanks to UV-C, the crucial last step in cleaning and sanitizing your food processing equipment has never been easier or more efficient.
UV-C Disinfecting in The Laboratory
Introducing: nUVaCleanTM UV Pipette Carousel
The first and only pipette rack that not only organizes and protects six pipettes, but also destroys greater than 99% of unwanted contamination. Using a germicidal UV-C lamp, a high-efficiency reflector/concentrator completely bathes pipette shafts in 254 nm UV light. This exposure destroys unwanted microbiological contaminants and prevents cross-contamination in PCR and other sensitive procedures.
Just place single-channel pipettes of any range or brand in the carousel and press the “start” button to begin the auto-decon cycle. After 28 minutes this device will power down automatically, delivering up to 6 pipettes that are safe, clean, and ready for use.