Some plant managers complain that employees don’t use them. Others say that they don’t get cleaned out often enough. Or, the sanitizing solution loses effectiveness, creating a source of contamination. Yes, these things can happen…but they don’t have to. Each of these problems has a simple answer. Quality assurance techniques require monitoring. Disinfectant Mats, by themselves, don’t create a sanitation program.
We can help you make it work. Because Nelson-Jameson has been in the business for so long, we’ve got some suggestions that have worked well for others:
- Have enough Disinfectant Mats so that employees don’t need to go out of their way to use one. Locate them at every entrance to processing areas.
- If employees bypass footbaths, put several together to cover the whole entrance…so they can’t avoid them.
- Limit access to processing areas, keeping drivers, warehouse workers and office personnel out, if possible.
- Initiate a footwear and clothing program – work clothes and boots should stay at work.
- Education is a powerful sanitation tool, so talk to employees about the problem.
- Post “Use Footbath” signs as reminders to employees.
- Check sanitizer concentration with test strips, which are convenient and simple. Keep daily or hourly log of results.
- Replace regular mats with the Antimicrobial Disinfectant Mat.
- Use longer lasting sanitizing solutions. Chlorine bleach dissipates rapidly, especially in the presence of a heavy organic soil load. Other compounds will last longer. Try quaternary ammonium, iodine, chlorine or acid sanitizers.
- Don’t forget other aspects of your program, such as air sampling, HACCP, surface sampling, insect control, drain cleaning, condensation control, and cleaning of drip pans, condensers and air filters.
For more information on disinfectant mats, click here.
About Our Learning Center
To make informed decisions in the food, dairy and beverage industries, you need to have in-depth product knowledge and a variety of educational resources. Our Learning Center is designed to help you with all that. Visit our Learning Center today!