The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) revised the standard relating to first aid kits in the workplace. ANSI Z308.1-2003 has been replaced by ANSI Z308.1-2009. There are a few changes that our customers should pay attention to. The old standard listed eight items that were required as minimum fill for workplace first aid kits. The new standard brings the required item total to ten. The other notable change is that latex is to be eliminated from first aid altogether.
The new required items are:
(1) First Aid Guide
(1) Absorbent Compress 4″ X 8″ minimum
(16) 1″ X 3″ Adhesive Bandages
(1) Adhesive Tape 2.5 yard roll
(10) Antiseptic Treatment Applications 0.9 Gram each
(6) Burn Treatment Applications 0.9 Gram each
(4) 3″ X 3″ Sterile Gauze Pads
(2) Pair Medical Exam Gloves
(1) Triangular Bandage 40″ X 40″ X 56″ min
(6) Antibiotic Ointment Applications 0.5 Gram each.
There are also now ten items listed as Recommended Supplies.
The recommended items are:
- Analgesic (oral, non-drowsy formula)
- Bandage Compress, 2″ X 2″ min.
- Breathing Barrier, single use
- Burn Dressing, 12 square inches
- Cold Pack, 4″ X 5″ min.
- Eye Covering, 1/4″ thick min.
- Eye/Face Wash Sterile, 4 oz. min.
- Roller Bandage, 2″ X 4 yards min.
- Hand Sanitizer
The new standard also calls for the kits to be labeled with specific wordage. The label should read as follows: Caution! This kit meets ANSI/ISEA Z308.1-2009 only when required minimum fill is maintained with first aid products marked “ANSI/ISEA Z308.” The required kit may be suitable for some businesses. However, the adequacy of the contents for hazards of each work environment should always be evaluated by competent personnel.
For a variety of operations, employers may find that additional first aid supplies and kits are needed. For more information visit the ANSI website or contact me.